Frequently Asked Questions
1. My slideshow doesn't appear at all. All I see is a blank canvas!
This happens when the tool doesn't find the slideshow.swf file. To verify this, right-click or control-click the canvas. If the flash file wasn't found, then you'll see the line "movie not loaded" instead of the usual play and rewind commands. To fix this, make sure the slideshow.swf URL is correct (try an absolute URL instead of relative.) If your server is case-sensitive, use the correct case.
2. The tool takes 30 seconds to load, then I get a "Loading .. timed out" error message. Why is that?
This happens when the tool can't find, or can't access the file shown in the error message.
Place the file on the same server as slideshow.swf, and make sure the URL is correct (try an absolute URL instead of relative.) If your server is case-sensitive, use the correct case. If the file is protected, make sure the tool can access it without passwords. Type the file's url in a browser to verify that it's accessible.
3. I can only generate the default slideshow. Why is that?
This happens when slideshow.swf can't recognize the content of the source file.
The source file must be free of errors, or it'll generate unrecognizable data. Make sure the source file is constructed in exactly the same way shown in the tutorial.
4. Why doesn't the tool recognize the latest changes I made to the source file?
Your browser is likely to be using a previously cached version of the source file instead of reading the latest version. To fix this, see the "Caching" section on this page.
If you're using a meta tag in your html page to control caching, you might have to delete it.
5. My slideshow doesn't display some images. Why is that?
This tool only supports standard JPEG images. Make sure your images are RGB (not indexed colors), and save them as standard JPEG (not progressive JPEG.) Your application should show you these options when saving the images.
6. I can't make some features work. Is this a bug?
Re-download XML/SWF Slideshow to make sure you have the latest version. If this doesn't work, test the feature by copying the related sample code from the reference section. Test it without adding any other code to it. If it works, then add the same code to your slideshow and modify it.
7. I can't make some features work. Is this because I'm using an unregistered copy of XML/SWF Slideshow?
Unregistered copies work exactly the same as registered copies, except for the features listed on the license page. If you're unable to make other features work, see the above suggestion.
8. Why does the tool occasionally render the graphics from the center of the canvas instead of the top-left corner?
This is a rare Internet Explorer bug that occurs when the Flash tool is loaded before a complex web page is fully constructed by the browser. There are 3 ways to deal with this:
1) Re-download the tool to make sure you have the latest files, empty the browser's cache, and test again.
2) Prevent caching. See the "Caching" section on this page. If you're using a meta tag in your html page to control caching, you might have to delete it.
9. How do I display slideshows on a secure server (https)?
Use absolute URLs that start with https for both the slideshow.swf and the slideshow's source files.
Also, in the flash html code, make the URLs in the "codebase" and "PLUGINSPAGE" attributes secure. You can do this by simply replacing the "http" with "https".
10. How do I display slideshows behind a firewall?
Macromedia Flash Player makes connections over ports 1935, 443, and 80. Make sure all these ports stay open.
11. How do I work around the "Click here to activate this " message on the latest version of Internet Explorer?
Use the workaround on this page.
12. Do you have plans to support other technologies like perl, ASP, CFML, etc.?
XML/SWF Slideshow runs on any server. Use any scripting language to generate the XML code necessary to display slideshows. See this page for more information.
13. Can I register the tool for a client of mine? Do you have a reseller program and discount?
Yes, you may register the tool for your client by following the same transaction procedure on the License page. Sorry, there is no reseller program and discount.
14. Paypal isn't available in my country. Is there a payment method other than PayPal?
Use moneybookers.com to make a payment to email@example.com. Unfortunately, moneybookers.com doesn't automate this process. After making the payment, please let us know to send you the registration key.